Meteor watch 20121020 - Orionids
Those of you with an interest in astronomy probably know that last night was a maximum of Orionids meteor shower. Which means, of course, that I spent half the night laying on my back observing them. I actually forgot about them this year, but two nights ago I saw a bolide and 4 really bright meteors, around 0 magnitude, so I got curious and googled meteor activity, and realized I saw some of the Orionids.
| Orionrise (click to embiggen) |
Orionids are named after the Orion constellation, one of the best known and most recognizable constellations on both sides of the world (due to its location on the celestial equator, a projection of Earth's equator out into space), because their radiant, a point from which the appear to originate, lies in the said constellation. Where they actually come from is a debris trail left after Halley's comet. During the maximum they usually occur at rates of circa 25 per hour, but I observed a bit more than half that number. As can be seen in the table, I saw a total of 32 meteors in 02h40m, 17 of which were Orionids (the rest being sporadic meteors, not connected with any meteor shower). That means I saw approx. 7 Orionids per hour, which was actually quite disappointing, but what can you do.
![]() |
| More about recorded details: http://www.popastro.com/meteor/observingmeteors/index.php#Details%20to%20Record |



Primjedbe
Objavi komentar