Scenes from the Garden: Leaves
Another beautiful autumn day here in Dubrovnik, warm and sunny as if it was spring. Today I decided to take photos of some of the different leaves you can find in my Garden (I follow Google+ trending topics, you know). Since it is autumn whether it seems like it or not, a lot of plants are in the process of loosing their leaves, so I bring you only five photos I deemed most worthy.
The first plant is Mimosa pudica, one of the prettiest trees we've ever had in our Garden. It used to be a huge tree, but when the roots started to do damage to the walls, we had to cut it down. I was pleasantly surprised to see a few young offshoots growing more than five years after we've cut the original tree down. It's a very interesting plant, with bipinnately compound leaves which can rapidly close under certain stimuli, like touching, warming etc.
![]() |
| Mimosa pudica |
![]() |
| Rosa rosa |
For the next one I chose a beautiful (when in bloom) Lilac vulgaris, or Common Lilac. This one has also grown in the Garden since the dawn of ages, and I remember looking for a five-petal flowers to drop down my shirt, which supposedly brings you good luck, if you believe in that sort of nonsense (as many kids do, I guess).
![]() |
| Lilac vulgaris |
Last one is so abundant in the Garden that I decided to take two photos of it. It is also one of my favorite plants, an invasive and poisonous species which serves as a great background for numerous spooky, haunted old houses. It is, of course, Hedera helix, also known as Common Ivy. If you don't mind having such a nuisance of a plant in your garden, it is great for attracting all kinds of bugs and birds which you can watch for hours when you're bored.
![]() |
| Hedera helix and Tricyclus antiquus |
![]() |
| Hedera helix |
So, anyway, these are only some of the plants in the Garden. Which plant is your favorite? :)







Primjedbe
Objavi komentar